With robotron*Daphne, a collection management system has been created that enables the recording and management of large collections in an exceptionally efficient way. It combines the basic philosophy of maximum simplicity and at the same time maximum performance with the elegance of a modern application. The intuitive handling allows each museum staff member to productively record objects in short time.
In addition, scholars, portfolio managers, researchers, photographers, registrars and curators are supported in their everyday work: not only must the collections be documented and presented in a contemporary way, but exhibitions must also be planned, transportation organized, and the linking of knowledge with public networks has become standard practice. Moreover, provenance research has also become a highly demanding task that comprehensively links various resources. in order to provide conclusive data on the origin of artistic or cultural assets. All of these aspects have been addressed as simply and effectively as possible in robotron*Daphne.
Publish records onlineYes
- Platform independent (Windows, MacOS, Linux).
- Location independent (in-house or cloud-based installation in Robotron data center).
- No client installation.
- Modular structure with special data records and different object categories. Views for the object categories “interviews“, e.g. for contemporary witness interviews, “works”, “productions” and “performances” for theaters and operas as well as numerous special data records are already available.
- Objects are recorded in a single form where data fields are grouped into subject areas corresponding to their sequence of registration.
- Rapid data acquisition and copy function for efficient recording is available.
- All reference data can be modified by the customer.
- Reporting tool for generating output for XLS, XLSX, DOC, DOCX, PDF, XML, HTML, TXT and other formats.
- Predefined standard reports (e.g. for Microsoft Excel, Word, PDF, XML or OpenOffice documents) are part of the software.
- The software combines the basic philosophy of maximum simplicity and maximum performance with the elegance of a modern application.
- The intuitive handling allows each museum staff member to quickly and efficiently record objects.
- robotron*Daphne can handle many institutions in one database, even customers at separate locations.
- Integrated full-text index including every object attribute and related documents.
- Asset management module for storing metadata for any photo, with or without relation to an object.
- Fully-automated mediagrabber for uploading digital assets during low-traffic times (e.g. at night). 3D animations, zoomable photos, videos as well as scrollable manuscripts are easily integrated into the database.
- CSV-Import and Update interface for importing object data. No need to implement expensive special solutions.
- Module for the evaluation of art objects.
- One-click solution for presenting objects on the internet.
- Internet presentation with robotron*Daphne-Collection on PCs and mobile devices.
- Customers can administrate users and their rights on their own.
- Linked Open Data interface to the Deutsche Nationalbibliothek (GND)
- Editable help texts for all data fields can be used for describing customer-specific regulations.
- Robotron*Daphne includes “Daphne-Maps” functionality.
- Multilingual interface and content with no restriction to the number of languages.
- Archive module.
Features in progress:
- Multiple enhancements for robotron*Daphne-Collection.
- Generic scientific projects.
- Audit Trails – As standard
- Password – As standard
- Picklist – As standard
- Thesaurus for data entry – As standard
- Thesaurus for retrieval – As standard
- Report writer – As standard
Are image and media formats configurableYes
and many more (imagemagick.org/script/formats.php)
Almost every file type can be stored in the database (up to 4GB each)
robotron*Daphne includes a module for managing digital assets. Assets are represented by a data record in the media module. There are many fields for metadata such as copyright or blocking notes. Photos can be managed with or without an object relationship.
Support for integration with other DAMS
robotron*Daphne can be integrated with Canto Cumulus.
Business process automation
Many daily processes are supported by robotron*Daphne (e.g. by to-do emails).
Digital rights management
An optimal representation on mobile devices such as tablets and smartphones is possible with robotron*Daphne-Collection.
GND-data from the Deutsche Nationalbibliothek is integrated via web service on a regular basis.
User generated content
User-generated content can be collected by robotron*Daphne-Collection and evaluated in robotron*Daphne.
A transfer of existing data via the integrated CSV import and update interface is possible with robotron*Daphne.
A universal CSV-export is possible with robotron*Daphne, as well as communication with other databases and portals via the standardized LIDO interface. The database can be queried by standard database tools.
Museum / heritage standards
- OBJECT ID
- ICOM Documentation Guidelines
- CIDOC CRM Core
- Spectrum and CIDOC CRM in 2017
Minimum hardware requirement
A standard PC or laptop with the operating system Microsoft Windows, Linux or MAC OS is sufficient to install robotron*Daphne. In order to connect to the database, a data line must be available; either via the intranet or the Internet. If the Robotron computer center is not used by the client, the technical requirements depend on several factors. These factors must be addressed with the user.
Windows, Linux, MacOS for the clients, Linux or Windows for the application- and database server.
Robotron*Daphne uses an Oracle RDBS and is built on a relational database model. The database is queryable by standard database tools.
Public access support
Public access is possible with robotron*Daphne-Collection or via SSL Proxy Server from anywhere. Robotron*Daphne-Collection uses permalinks and is able to be linked by platforms like Europeana. Our SSL Proxy Server connects any robotron*Daphne database with a client outside of the intranet. So users can work from home or anywhere in the world.
Backup is organised with ORACLE standard procedures or with a feature of robotron*Daphne that allows you to export the complete data as CSV. Backups for in-house installations can be widely configured and are set up by our support team.
Data auditing and cleaning
Robotron*Daphne offers a full set of features which support data cleaning. Some of these powerful tools are mass changes of all object attributes or the combining of reference data. robotron*Daphne uses standardized vocabulary on many attributes, so that the amount of data cleaning is minimized. Inquiries can be made over all data collected by means of standardized search fields and additional, freely definable “quotation fields”. robotron*Daphne immediately creates an extensive full-text index after entering new object data. This index contains all data fields of an object as well as all attached documents. In this way, objects and documents such as restoration logs can be easily and efficiently retrieved. Every change made on every single attribute is audited and queryable by users with the specific rights.
Single user cost
€1800 for one user including all modules. The software robotron*Daphne-Collection for internet presentation is charged separately.
Five user cost
€8400 for 5 users including all modules. The software robotron*Daphne-Collection for internet presentation is charged separately.
Additional pricing notes
We are able to offer our software with embedded licenses for the Oracle Database. Please ask for the prices.
Robotron is offering individual in-house training sessions, user conferences and a robotron*Daphne Forum. Members of the robotron Team personally provide the user with professional advice.
Technical support is provided by a team of specialists on weekdays from 7am to 6pm. With a mandatory service contract, technical support is free of charge. Users can call their personal contact at Robotron or post messages to a helpdesk or forum.
Spectrum proceduresObject Entry (primary)
Loans In (primary)
Location and Movement (primary)
Use of Collections
Object Exit (primary)
Loans Out (primary)
Loss and Damage
Retrospective Documentation (primary)
Yes, robotron*Daphne includes a library module as well as support for historical libraries.
Bibliographic / library standards
Archival records support
There is an archive module included.
Archival records standards
ISAD(G) is supported.
Integration with other library and archive management systems
Individual interfaces can be implemented on commission at any time.
Contact postal address
Robotron Datenbank-Software GmbH
Stuttgarter Straße 29
Software developer nameRobotron Datenbank-Software GmbH
Software developer contact nameUlrich Servos
Software developer contact address
Robotron Datenbank-Software GmbH
Stuttgarter Straße 29
Software developer firstname.lastname@example.org
UK users and sites
None, but robotron*Daphne will support multiple languages starting in 2017.
International users and sites
About 35 museums with ca. 500 users.
Developed in close co-operation with the professional research team of the Staatliche Kunstsammlungen Dresden http://www.skd.museum/