Mimsy XG has been managing the collections of small private collectors through to large national institutions for more than 20 years
An easy to use collections management software solution, Mimsy XG is known for its simple implementation and user led development. It has a particular strength in cultural history and multi-disciplinary collections.
Its strong cross-platform capabilities make it a natural fit for mixed Mac OSX and Windows environments.
Minimum hardware requirement
All servers require:
- DVD drive
- Video Adapter: 256 colour
- Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse
- Server backup hardware and software Server for Windows 2008 or 2008
- For Oracle 11g/12c:
- Recommended Processor: 1.8 GHz minimum
- Recommended RAM: 2 GB; the more data and users, the more RAM needed
- Storage space (NTFS file system preferred): 4.5 GB for Oracle Home Drive. You should also account for space for your digital media files if you plan to store them on the Mimsy XG server. Server for Linux or Unix
For Oracle 11g/12c:
- Minimum of 1 GB of RAM
- Swap disk space equal to the system’s physical memory, or 1.5 GB, whichever is greater
- Storage space: 5 GB
- CD-ROM drive capable of reading ISO 9660 format CD-ROM discs with RockRidge extensions
- Oracle Universal Installer requires up to 1 GB of temporary space Terminal Services, Citrix and VMWare Oracle supports installing, configuring, and running Oracle Database through Terminal Services and Citrix. If you wish to run Oracle under VMWare please contact us with your specific set up, as additional Oracle licensing may apply.
Client (PCs running Windows 2000 (sp-3+), Windows XP Professional, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Linux, Macintosh running OS X Jaguar version or later):
- 800MHz minimum
- RAM: 512 MB minimum, 1 GB recommended (2 GB for Windows Vista/Windows 7)
- Keyboard and Mouse
- Graphics card capable of 1024×768 or higher resolution with 256 or more colours (65,000 colors recommended) and a compatible monitor. MIMSY XG is designed to display at a resolution of 1024×768.
- Sound card for audio files
- 50MB storage required for the application.
Client: Windows 2000 (sp-3+), Windows XP Professional, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Linux, Macintosh running OS X Jaguar version or later.
Server: Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012 (12c only), Unix and Linux (contact us for specific version support)
Public access support
We have 2 web publishing products, Möbius and MWeb.
Möbius for Mimsy allows users to instantly publish collections information to an intranet, a web site, browser-based kiosks, or satellite institutions. Unlike other solutions for online museum publishing, Möbius is built specifically to work with the powerful capabilities of the Mimsy XG collections management system. Users can add Authority and select Activity data to their web presence, create and view groups of items that they have made, and organise how the data will be presented to the visitor.
MWeb is a custom publishing application that can be used to search multiple databases of different types, including MARC files. It is particularly useful for organisations that wish to provide a single point of access for multiple databases or for consortia who wish to provide federated search capabilities to their users.
We will make a good faith effort to advise and provide recommendations; however, backups are ultimately the responsibility of the organization.
Data auditing and cleaning
Our Media, People, Site, Acquisition, and Object updaters may be used to enhance and scrub existing data. The system also features Search/Replace and Copy to Set functions for mass updates. Auditing may be tracked at the table and field level.
Single user cost
£2,500 (exclusive of Oracle licensing costs, if any) charged to for-profit institutions.
Five user cost
£12,500 (exclusive of Oracle licensing costs, if any) charged to for-profit institutions.
Additional pricing notes
Site Licence granted when licensing 20 or more users.
A range of courses are available in the UK; both classroom sessions and in house training.
View upcoming training here:
Our support package includes the following:
- Unlimited access to Mimsy XG support via the Selago Design Web Site, e-mail or freephone;
- Free upgrades / enhancements;
- Discounted rates for end-user advanced training;
- Direct troubleshooting of your system via call-in is available to users who have PC Anywere, RDP / Terminal Services, VNC, or via a GoToMeeting.com session;
- Membership in the Selago Design Users Group;
- Free consultation relating to complex data issues.
- Software support fees are £500 per concurrent user licensed. Support prices are set in January of each year and may increase or decrease from those in effect at the time of your original purchase. Your annual support fees, therefore, may increase or decrease from year to year. Purchasing the support package is required for the first year.
One of the most salient features of Mimsy XG is the flexibility it offers registrars, archivists, and curators whose task it is to catalogue a wide variety of collections. Mimsy XG allows users to easily add the specialised database fields required for a far-reaching collection:
- Mimsy XG allows administrators to easily change the field label, help text, button text, data defaults, pop-up lists (often called authority files), field order arrangement, the fields that appear on the screen, cell size, the attributes of the text that will appear in the field, and many other important functions of the system throughout the database. The Mimsy XG Administrator can easily make any change to these areas of the system in seconds.
- Users can also choose to work in the format that matches their working style. Users can work in form or grid mode to do all CMS tasks including data entry, grouping functions, and searching. As with the forms, all grids can be rearranged, sorted on, and manipulated to meet each user’s unique needs.
- User-selected data from any module of the system can be exported with one easy keystroke command into external programs (including Microsoft Word, Excel, Access) in a variety of standard formats. This ease of export allows for the quick and easy sharing of data and facilitates a user’s ability to incorporate collection data in their day-to-day documentation tasks. A MARC import/export routine, an EAD export, and an OAI-PMH servlet are also available to clients upon request.
- Mimsy XG users can create an unlimited number of collection- or discipline-specific screens (also called ‘Views’) in the database. Each View can display the modules, fields, field labels, and pop-up lists (authority files) appropriate for that user’s discipline and needs. For example, the donor name in the ‘Staff’ View might be visible on-screen. In the ‘Intern’ View, the field might be hidden. Using Mimsy XG’s unique View technology, all of the client’s collections can be housed in one database and, based on a user’s log-on, each user will see their unique, administrator-specified portion of the collection arranged in the manner that they have selected. The ability to house a variety of different collection types in one system while allowing each specific user the luxury of feeling that the system was custom-built to meet their specific needs is a hallmark of Mimsy XG’s innovative technology.
- Media can be displayed in individual and light board format via the Media Viewer. This viewer, which may be run independently from Mimsy, allows users to group, manipulate, save, print, and e-mail images, and is designed to allow exhibition designers, educators and other users an opportunity to work with the ‘objects’ in a user-friendly, image-based environment that requires very little training to use.
- Audit Trails – As standard
- Password – As standard
- Picklist – As standard
- Thesaurus for data entry – As standard
- Thesaurus for retrieval – As standard
- Screen designer – As standard
- Report writer – Purchase
- Modifiable data structure – Purchase
The Mimsy XG media browser natively supports the following formats:
Additional formats may be viewed as linked files provided that the workstation is installed with the executable affiliated with the file extension.
In addition to the image formats listed in our previous reply, Mimsy XG will display a file for which the workstation has a linked executable (e.g. PDF, DOCX, XLSX, etc.)
Are image and media formats configurableYes, users may define which formats open in the integrated Media Browser and which formats should be opened in external programs.
Yes, as an optional add-on for purchase.
Support for integration with other DAMS
Mimsy XG may be integrated with a DAMs. Integrations have included Extensis Portfolio and Piction.
Business process automation
Yes. With a customization.
Digital rights management
Yes, with the optional Piction DAMS module.
Yes. Information may be published to mobile devices via OAI-PMH, web services, or via MWeb’s XML server.
Yes, with a customisation.
User generated content
The software can manage contributed (user-generated) content throughout the system. Source, method, and content may be captured on a record level, or at an individual field (access-point) level.
Imports may be done using our bundled Import tools, through any application that provides ODBC access to Oracle, or through SQL Loader. At this time, we do not have an API.
Exports may be done from the “Grid View” interface, Crystal Reports, Oracle dmp files, or using any application that provides ODBC access to Oracle. At this time, we do not have an API.
OAI-PMH - Purchase
SRU-CQL - Purchase
REST - Purchase
SOAP - Purchase
RSS - Purchase
ATOM - Purchase
Linked Data/SPARQL - Purchase
Museum / heritage standards
- CIDOC CRM Core
- ICOM Documentation Guidelines
- VRA Core
- CHIN Data Dictionaries OBJECT ID
Spectrum proceduresObject Entry (primary)
Loans In (primary)
Location and Movement (primary)
Use of Collections
Object Exit (primary)
Loans Out (primary)
Loss and Damage
Retrospective Documentation (primary)
Bibliographic / library standards
Archival records support
Archival records standards
EAD and ISAD(G)
Integration with other library and archive management systems
MARC import / export programs, EAD / ISAD-G export, OAI-PMH provider.
Support site URLalm.axiell.com/support/mimsy-xg-support/
Contact postal address
889 Bank Street
Ontario K1S 5P5
Software developer nameAxiell ALM
Software developer contact nameGayle Silverman
Software developer contact address
889 Bank Street
Ontario K1S 5P5
Software developer email@example.com
UK users and sites
International users and sites
Over 110 institutions including National Museum of American History, the Australian War Memorial, the Science Museum Group (UK), and the National Gallery of Canada
The National Maritime Museum Case Study can be viewed here: