Coeli is a cloud-based solution for cataloguing, managing and disseminating cultural heritage collections in an agile and intuitive way. Coeli brings you a complete procedure-based collections management system together with powerful data harvesting and sharing capabilities.
A tool designed for an interconnected world: interoperable data, descriptive and exchange metadata standards, data linked to the main international reference sources, and tools for data normalization and enrichment.
Coeli takes the maximum advantages of cloud technology: scalability, specialization, maintenance and interoperability. Technological infrastructure is not a concern anymore and the cost is tailored to the needs.
Solutions for the GLAM sector (Galleries, Libraries, Archives and Museums), from small institutions to networks or consortia. Coeli’s professionals are museologists, document management and digital content consultants who work daily to resolve the difficulties of the heritage sector.
Coeli has three main plans: Cirrus, Cumulus and Cumulonimbus, starting from mainly harvesting and dissemination functionalities up to an integral tool to manage collections and all the procedures related to it:
- Cirrus: all harvesting and dissemination functionalities, with basic editing options.
- Cumulus: all dissemination functionalities plus powerful metadata and descriptive core.
- Cumulonimbus: all dissemination and descriptive functionalities, plus complete procedures for collection management
Publish records onlineYes
- SaaS: user does not have to worry about the technology
- Solutions tailored to the needs
- 100% interoperable metadata
- Data analytics with visualization tools.
- Full access API Rest
- Rich import/export features based on human-readable formats.
- Coeli-Sync: powerful data synchronization between Coeli and third-party systems.
- Batch media loader.
- OAI-Protocol for Metadata Harvesting
- Extensive descriptive schema for heritage assets and contextual metadata.
- Support for cultural, natural, immovable and intangible heritage assets.
- Customizable entry forms for different object classes.
- Customizable vocabulary subsets for different object classes.
- Full-featured thesaurus based on ISO 25964.
- Faceted search, ordering, filtering, batch actions, user customizable lists and saved searches.
- Translation module for multilingual cataloguing.
- Support for digital assets management.
- Linked Open Data modules.
- Easily customizable reporting tool with MS Office Word
- Easy import/export wizards based on CSV/MS Office Excel
- Standard Web Catalogue out-of-the-box. Publish data on the web with just one click.
- Coeli Widgets for embedding the catalogue in your corporative website. Customization, full text and advanced search, filtering facets, navigation between entities and media gallery included.
- Develop your own sites or apps with the API Rest, 100% customizable.
- Procedure-based workflows with support for all Spectrum primary procedures.
- Customizable access permissions, user workspaces and user personalization features.
- Creation, review and publishing of workflow.
- Changes traceability
- Digital asset rights management
- Easily customizable reporting tool with MS Office Word
- Audit Trails – As standard
- Password authentication – As standard
- Picklists – As standard
- Thesaurus for data entry – As standard
- Thesaurus for retrieval – As standard
- Screen designer – Purchase
- Report writer – As standard
- Modifiable data structure – Purchase
Are image and media formats configurable?Coeli stores media files in its original format, and processes them to create standard derivatives to optimize web usability. Default derivative configuration cannot be customized.
Supported containers and video input codecs:
- No Container: DV/DVCPRO, AVC (H.264), HEVC (H.265), MPEG-1, MPEG-2
- Audio Video Interleave: Uncompressed, DivX/Xvid, DV/DVCPRO
- Adobe® Flash®: Flash® 9 File, H.263, AVC (H.264)
- Matroska: AVC (H.264), MPEG-2, MPEG-4 part 2, VC-1
- MPEG Transport Streams: AVC (H.264), HEVC (H.265), MPEG-2, VC-1
- MPEG-1 System Streams: MPEG-1, MPEG-2
- MPEG-4: Uncompressed, AVC Intra 50/100, DivX/Xvid, H.261, H.262, H.263, AVC (H.264), HEVC (H.265), JPEG 2000, MJPEG, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 part 2, VC-1
- MXF: Uncompressed, AVC Intra 50/100, DNxHD, DV/DVCPRO, DV25, DV50, DVCPro HD, AVC (H.264), JPEG 2000, MPEG-2, Panasonic P2, SonyXDCam, SonyXDCam MPEG-4 Proxy
- QuickTime®: Uncompressed, Apple ProRes, AVC Intra 50/100, DivX/Xvid, DV/DVCPRO, H.261, H.262, H.263, AVC (H.264) JPEG 2000, MJPEG, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 part 2
- WMV/ASF: VC-1
Supported containers and audio input codecs:
- No Container / Audio Video Interleave: Dolby® Digital, Dolby® Digital Plus™, Dolby® E frames carried in PCM streams, MPEG Audio, PCM
- Adobe® Flash®: AAC
- Matroska: AAC, Dolby® Digital, Dolby® Digital Plus™, WMA, WMA2
- MPEG Transport Streams: AAC, AIFF, Dolby® Digital, Dolby® Digital Plus™, Dolby® E frames carried in PCM streams, MPEG Audio, PCM, WMA, WMA2
- MPEG-1 System Streams: AAC, AIFF, Dolby® Digital, Dolby® Digital Plus™, MPEG, Audio PCM
- MPEG-4: AAC, Dolby® Digital, Dolby® Digital Plus™, PCM, WMA, WMA2
- MXF: AAC, AIFF, Dolby® E frames carried in PCM streams, MPEG Audio, PCM
- QuickTime®: AAC
- WMV/ASF: WMA, WMA2
Coeli acts as a DAM as it can store, add metadata, index and search digital assets, and create derivatives for better access. Additionally, data can be published online on an external site or microsite by default, so it can be shared publicly or privately.
Support for integration with other DAMS
Coeli can act as a dissemination tool combined with other DAM systems.
Using Coeli Sync, data is harvested and synchronized between both systems, as well as some data transformations can be made in order to optimize data.
Coeli can execute OAI-PMH harvesting processes against other DAM systems to make an integral dissemination of the records with their media.
Coeli supports external URLs as media.
Business process automation
Coeli offers user permissions and workflow to allow creation, reviewing and publishing of records. There are different levels of workflows depending on the plan. Starting with Cirrus which offers basic processes, up to Cumulonimbus which is compatible with Spectrum procedures and can assign roles and responsibilities.
Management functionalities are based on Spectrum Standard. Adapting Coeli workflows to other procedures is not available out of the box.
Digital rights management
Coeli has a native copyright and license group fields in all types of records. Watermarks can be added as well.
Coeli back office and the public web catalogue are both responsive. All management functionalities are available via mobile, although, in practice, management and descriptive tasks are more comfortable using bigger screens than mobiles.
All functionalities are available using the API Rest, hence they can be easily integrated to custom-made apps.
Development of mobile apps for specific tasks such as making inventory or bookings is in our roadmap.
Taking interoperability as a premise, Coeli controlled vocabularies and thesaurus can be linked to external references.
Thesaurus integration is done via an offline synchronization module in order to give the user full control about changes and optimizing stability, performance and functionality.
User generated content
Not available out of the box. Scheduled in our roadmap.
Functions for import:
- Import can be done through CSV files or any SQL-based database.
- Coeli Sync offers a data synchronization system between Coeli and third-party databases. Also, digital assets can be imported in batch.
- Furthermore, Coeli has a secured read/write API Rest.
Functions for export:
- A secured JSON API Rest can be accessed from any environment.
- Export is also available in CSV, MS Office Excel and MS Office Word.
- Coeli has an OAI-PMH end-point that allows data harvesting in Dublin Core and EDM RDF/XML.
Ready for Europeana Connection Kit (ECK)No
OAI-PMH - Standard
SRU-CQL - Not available
REST - Standard
SOAP - Not available
RSS - Not available
ATOM - Not available
Linked Data/SPARQL - Purchase
Unavailable protocols are not implemented due to the lack of demand. We do not discard to implement them on-demand.
- CIDOC CRM RDF
Museum / heritage standards
- CIDOC CRM Core
- Darwin Core
- Persistent and secure database system based on PostgresSQL
- Powerful search engine based on Elasticsearch
- Document media repository with unlimited growth at AWS Amazon S3 services
- Big volume of users supported: scalable and cluster endpoints
Public access support
Coeli offers three data accessibility solutions out of the box:
- Standard Web Catalogue: collection records are published automatically in a standard web catalogue, with no need for web developers or extra costs. For branding purposes, there is the possibility to customize all aesthetics (colour, typography, links, size…). All these configurations are accessible by users through an HTML and CSS panel.
- Coeli Widgets: widgets are short pieces of code that can be inserted into any site to show all the collection, specific searches, or just one record. Basic and advanced search, facets and filters, intern navigation and view functionalities. Widgets are available out of the box, and they can be customized on-demand.
- Full access API Rest: the API Rest of Coeli can be used to access the database securely and reuse the data in any other context. This allows developers to create different environments harvesting data from the same source. Make interactive navigational panels as maps, chronologies, relational entities, etc.
Coeli is designed as a preservation tool and it incorporates contingency mechanisms to grant the continuity of the system.
As a SaaS solution, it provides a full backup of the database and media. Backups are done on a daily basis, and they remain stored for one week. Additionally, the backups of 14 and 21 days before are retained.
Besides, the client can make backup processes at any moment, with no dependency on Coeli.
Also, there is a recycle bin to allow a 30-day retention of deleted media.
Data auditing and cleaning
Coeli stands on a powerful search engine that offers an intuitive and agile manner to query all the data. There are multiple search and filter options to take advantage of all the metadata.
Coeli has features such as validation workflow for data import module, batch modification actions and some powerful online tools for data cleaning, reconciliation and enrichment based on international reference vocabularies.
Data can easily be exported and imported in human-readable formats (CSV, MS Office) that facilitates data auditing and cleaning.
Dashboard for data analytics with visualization tools.
Coeli makes data interoperable, this means that data can be searched, modified, exported and analysed internally as externally (published data), using its native apps or third-party systems.
Single user cost
Coeli solutions are amazingly flexible, adapted to each specific need.
The size of the institution is calculated based on the size of collections and the number of visitors (cost is not per user):
- XS: <1000 objects. <1k visits
- S: <5k objects. <10k visits
- M: <20k objects. <50k visits
- L-XL: >20k objects. >50k visits
Coeli offers 3 different plans: Cirrus, Cumulus and Cumulonimbus:
- Cirrus: all dissemination functionalities. License starts at 30€/month (XS), 80€/month (S), 150€/month (M). L and XL rates on request.
- Cumulus: all dissemination and data description functionalities. License starts at 50€/month (XS), 150€/month (S), 300€/month (M). L and XL rates on request.
- Cumulonimbus: all dissemination, data description and collection management functionalities. Rates on request
[All prices correct November 2018]
Five user cost
Cost doesn’t rely on number of users. The number of users is unlimited. Cost is according to the plan and the institution size.
Additional pricing notes
Extra services: data conversion, descriptive schema customization, web customization, normalization of vocabularies, document management consultancy, digital content and dissemination consultancy.
From consultancy to the execution, there are a large number of possibilities.
Pricing depending on each project.
A complete user guide is available online.
Coeli offers training sessions, not included in the standard license. Different levels of training can be settled on depending on the complexity of the project.
Technical support is always available from 9h to 18h (WEST, UTC +1).
Support can be provided through any of the common communication channels: email, phone or video conference.
As a SaaS system, all incidents are solved via online, no need for remote access.
Support is available in English, Spanish and Catalan.
Spectrum proceduresObject Entry (primary)
Acquisition and accessioning (primary)
Location and movement control (primary)
Object Exit (primary)
Loans In - borrowing objects (primary)
Loans Out - lending objects (primary)
Condition checking and technical assessment
Collections care and conservation
Deaccessioning and disposal
Bibliographic / library standards
- Dublin Core
- MARC ISO2709 (for data import, although the data model does not consider all MARC format variations)
Archival records support
Archival records standards
Integration with other library and archive management systems
Coeli can harvest data from systems such as ICA Atom, Koha, Sierra, and any other system with an SQL database or that can export in ISO2709 or CSV.
Support site URL[none]
Contact postal address
71 Mezzanine Floor 4th Door
Software developer nameCoeli Platform SL
Software developer contact nameMarc Folia Campos
Software developer contact address
71 Mezzanine Floor 4th Door
Software developer email@example.com
UK users and sites
Coeli is growing fast in Catalan and Spanish sphere, working with public institutions and public networks of museums, as well as private art galleries, archives and museums.
International users and sites
- Artur Ramon Art
- Ateneu Barcelonès
- Biblioteca Pública Arús
- Col·lecció Filatèlica Ramon Marull
- Col·legi d’Arquitectes de Catalunya. (Inventari d’Arquitectura Catalana moderna i contemporània)
- Ferrocarrils de la Generalitat de Catalunya
- Generalitat de Catalunya. Direcció General de Cultura Popular i Associacionisme Cultural. Inventari del Patrimoni Etnològic de Catalunya
- Institut de Cultura de Barcelona
- Museu d’Història de Barcelona
- Museu de Ciències Naturals de Barcelona
- Museu de la Música de Barcelona
- Museu del Disseny de Barcelona
- Museu Etnològic de Barcelona
- Museu Frederic Marès
- Museu Picasso de Barcelona
- Santa Eulàlia
- Vinseum. Museu de les cultures del Vi
Consult references at https://www.coeli.cat/en/use-cases/