Good collections management is a strategic activity which should be integrated across the museum and delivers against the museum’s objectives.
Collections management is a term used to describe a museum’s approach to:
- Developing and caring for collections
- Creating information about collections
- Enabling the public to access use and learn from collections
With the publication of PAS 197: Code of Practice for cultural collections management the museum sector has recognised that good collections management is a strategic activity which is integrated across the museum and delivers against the museum’s objectives. Using examples, this webinar will explore how collections management can be linked to strategic objectives.
By the end of this webinar participants will have:
- Understood the components of strategic collections management and the PAS197 Code of Practice
- Understood links with the Accreditation standard
- Explored the concept of an integrated collections management framework
Resources referred to in the webinar
- PAS 197: Code of practice for cultural collections management
- Collections Management: A Practical Guide by Susanna Hillhouse, published by Collections Trust
- Collections Management Framework – Guidance Sheet 1
- Collections Management Policies – Guidance Sheet 2
- Collections Management Planning and Procedures – Guidance Sheet 3
- Managing Cultural Collections to Unlock Potential, page 12 – Case Study, Leeds Museum and PAS 197
- Thornbury Museum – Forward Planning Case Study
- Kirkleatham Forward Planning Case Study
The webinar presenter is Susanna Hillhouse, from the Collections Management Network. Susanna specialises in collections management standards and works with museums, cultural organisations and national bodies on research, consultancy and training projects. She became a freelance consultant in 2007 after seven years managing the MLA Accreditation Scheme in Scotland. Since then she has worked extensively with Collections Trust as an adviser, trainer, and networks officer alongside her developing consultancy work. She is the author of Collections Management: A Practical Guide, published by Collections Trust.