On 15 May 2020, in association with the Social History Curators Group, this live panel event discussed rationalisation, within a social history context, and answered your questions about disposals. Here you can watch a recording of the discussion (with optional subtitles) or download a PDF transcript that includes links to the resources recommended.
- Sarah Brown – Outreach Officer, Collections Trust (co-host).
- Rebecca Lucas – Collections Officer, North Lincolnshire Museum Service (co-host).
- Roz Sklar – Acting Head of Collections, Shakespeare Birthplace Trust.
- Jennie Morgan – Lecturer in Heritage, University of Stirling.
- Helen Taylor – Collections Manager, Black Country Living Museum.
- Sarah Briggs – Collections Development Officer, Museums Association.
Agenda (time stamp):
- Start (00:00).
- Welcome (00:09).
- Welcome from SHCG (02:04).
- Panel introductions (04:00).
- Successful disposals (08:34).
- Policy (14:34).
- Future proofing and refocussing (15:50).
- Methods of disposal (27:09).
- Donors (34:40).
- Communication and language (36:23).
- Uncertain ownership (44:10).
- Disposing of digitised material (47:57).
- Risk assessments (50:30).
- 52:07 Final thoughts (52:07).
Click the link on the right-hand side to download the PDF.