These articles from BBC News discuss the fire at the National Motorcycle Museum in Birmingham in September 2003. The fire destroyed 650 motorcycles and was probably caused by a discarded cigarette in the external smoking area, near cardboard boxes containing old air conditioning units. The building did conform to fire safety regulations, and had smoke detection and fire alarms, but did not have a sprinkler system.
This case study is relevant to Accreditation requirement 2.8 Expert assessment of security arrangements: ‘The museum must obtain expert security advice for stored and exhibited collections at least every five years, and earlier if needed. It must plan to act on the advice over time.’
Clicking the links on this page will open these resources to view on the BBC News website.