Earlier this year, small museums in the UK were invited to apply to join Making it FAIR, a collaborative learning project exploring digital content and storytelling with collections.
The number of responses was extremely high, but the following eight museums were finally selected to participate in the project:
- Foxton Canal Museum, Market Harborough, Leicestershire
- Gawthorpe Textiles Collection, Burnley, Lancashire
- Museum of Military Medicine, Aldershot, Hampshire
- Museum of Scottish Railways, Bo’ness, West Lothian
- Somme Museum, Newtownards, County Down
- Spelthorne Museum, Staines, Surrey
- Tenby Museum, Tenby, Pembrokeshire
- Wiltshire Museum, Devizes, Wiltshire
These museums are already receiving training, mentoring and technical support to develop digital collections-focussed content that will help them stay connected with existing audiences and reach new audiences.
Making it FAIR is a short-term research project, which will draw scalable lessons to inform Towards a National Collection’s (TaNC) discovery phase, and AHRC’s infrastructure planning. For more information, please see the project page.