- During acquisition, organisations must practice due diligence by:
- Understanding all ethical and legal responsibilities.
- Following up all lines of enquiry to establish the ownership and history of the object.
- Keeping an audit trail of all enquiries and object documentation.
- In addition public sector organisations must practice due diligence by:
- Following sector standards for acquisition, including SPECTRUM, Pre-entry Procedure, Object Entry Procedure and Acquisition Procedure, and have appropriate policies in place.
- If you have any suspicions about an object and you believe a criminal offence has been committed, you should report it to the Customs Hotline.
This checklist will help you follow up lines of enquiry to establish the ownership and history of the object you are acquiring. It is a useful checklist for both cultural heritage and commercial organisations.