This toolkit is an introduction to contemporary collecting, for museum staff and volunteers who don’t have direct experience of acquiring recent material and who want to understand the basics. It aims to provide advice and guidance on how to undertake contemporary collecting projects, outlining some of the practical considerations that need to be made and showcasing examples from museums.
‘Your collections development policy must include:
- the museum’s statement of purpose
- an overview of current collections
- themes and priorities for future collecting
- themes and priorities for rationalisation and disposal
- information about the legal and ethical framework for acquiring and disposing of items
- the date you’ll next review the policy’
(Accreditation standard, November 2018)
This template from Arts Council England provides a development policy framework, which sets out the principles, standards and legislation for responsible and ethical acquisition (and disposal) of collections.