There are several commonly used formats for museum numbering systems. This Spectrum Advice fact sheet gives guidance on numbering your collection, on different types and formats and a summary of commonly occurring issues surrounding numbering.
1. What is meant by ‘numbering’?
2. PAS 197, Spectrum 4.0 and the Museum Accreditation Scheme
3. Why is numbering important?
4. Different types of numbering:
- Entry numbering
- Accession numbering
- Transfer of title numbering
- Exit numbering
- Temporary numbering
- Photograph numbering
- Conservation numbering
5. External numbering systems
6. Numbering archaeology
7. MDA codes
This fact sheet was revised in 2015 to support the UK Museum Accreditation Standard.
Clicking the link on this page will allow you to download this resource as a PDF.