Any individual working with cultural heritage in public or commercial organisations has an ethical and legal duty to buy and sell cultural property honestly. In cultural heritage organisations, acquisition will be through purchase, donation or bequest and in commercial organisations acquisition will be through purchase. If you have any suspicions about an object and you […]
- During acquisition, organisations must practice due diligence by:
- Understanding all ethical and legal responsibilities.
- Following up all lines of enquiry to establish the ownership and history of the object.
- Keeping an audit trail of all enquiries and object documentation.
- In addition public sector organisations must practice due diligence by:
- Following sector standards for acquisition, including SPECTRUM, Pre-entry Procedure, Object Entry Procedure and Acquisition Procedure, and have appropriate policies in place.
- If you have any suspicions about an object and you believe a criminal offence has been committed, you should report it to the Customs Hotline.
This checklist will help you follow up lines of enquiry to establish the ownership and history of the object you are acquiring. It is a useful checklist for both cultural heritage and commercial organisations. Clicking the link on this page will allow you to download this resource as a DOCX file.
The Acquisition procedure involves documenting and managing the addition of objects and associated information to the collections of the organisation and their possible accession to the permanent collections. It ensures the completion of transfer of title to the museum, and links the new acquisition into the Museums Documentation System. It a requirement of Accreditation that […]
The Object entry procedure begins whenever an object enters the museum, or is collected to bring to the museum. Making sure that the Object entry procedure works well in your museum will ensure that you are able to account for all objects entering your museum – this includes objects which are being considered as donations […]
The pre-entry procedure is the management and documentation of the assessment of potential acquisitions before their arrival at the organisation. Clicking the link on this page will allow you to download this resource as a PDF.